Hello folks,

I'd like to make a first attempt to summarise the 60 or so posts to the list this week. The intention is to tease out some general pointers, and specific issues for any future planning for a project (noted in brackets below).

There is, I am convinced, an issue that better application of standards could help to address. We've heard how the UK situation is in some ways better that examples abroad.

The issue concerns grey literature specifically, but needs to take account of all sorts of publication of research and data. (Some of this may need to be out of scope for a project, but can't overlook this).

Standards need to apply where the document in question is the principle means of written communication of the results, whatever the outlet or format. (This should inform the presentation and scoping of standards).

To be effective, standards for our discipline need to be valued by related professions. There is a need to involve and communicate with, for example RTPI members. (Noted for stakeholder involvement).

Flexibility is essential. Different sub-communities within the sector will need guidance on application of standards relevant to their work, level of access to technical expertise etc. (i.e. additional outputs from the project, such as examples and templates, perhaps XML schema development, not just a standard. Possible link to the FISH Toolkit development project here?).

Standards need to recognise the disparate roles that reports serve. They need to be fit for planning consent purposes (the comon motivation for investigations), but also provide for future research (which in turn will feed into better planning decisions via HER enhancement). (This needs to inform the design of any new standard).

Reports include both metadata and data (even if in unstructured form). Both are needed to convey the results of an investigation. (Important overlaps here with the 'access' strand).

The whole process of dissemination of results of investigation through to where they can be searched via HERs needs to be catered for. Grey literature is a means to a specific end, not the ideal. We should avoid trying to find better ways to do the wrong thing.

Please do make further comment if I've overlooked any key points.

Best wishes

Ed

Standards and Guidelines manager
English Heritage