Hello all,

This morning I wanted to direct your thoughts if I may to a slightly more pragmatic issue: what should actually be included in any such standard. As a starter, my list would beas follows:-

- At the core of it would be the standard setting out what headings of information should appear (e.g. taken from the analysis of existing standards). I suggest this needs to go beyond the usual list of suggested headings (e.g. 'Introduction'; 'Aims and Objectives'; 'Site Location' etc etc) and define or expand upon what it is agreed that, for example, an Introduction should contain.
- Some headings would be a mandatory requirement, others would be mandatory only in certain circumstances, so the level of obligation in each case needs to be clearly set out.
- Examples of each heading (possibly as a separate document, as that could be quite lebgthy), and notes on use, content etc.

So that part of it would in many ways look much like the structure of the MIDAS Heritage standard 'Units of Information' dictionary (Crispin  made the point yesterday that much of what is included in grey literature reports already exists as unitis of information in MIDAS, so the approach seems sensible).

A standard would also need an Introduction, to set out clearly:

- when it was to be used (i.e. who it was a standard for)
- how it should be applied (with a variety of examples)
- model or example ways of using the standard in different context (e.g. model paragraphs for use in briefs, or for refering to it in other standards or guidelines documents).

It would also need a mechnism for review and update, which should be described.

Anything else?

Best wishes

Ed

Standards and Guidelines manager