good point!

I would suggest the standard should apply to reporting on archaeological fieldwork (field walking, geofizz, Trial trenching etc) whoever done it (Contractors, amateur group, academic) and for whatever reasons (development, research, fun), and in whatever format (Gl hard copy, online article, journal article, Monograph, etc).

That said the standard should make it clear that it applies to the version which is going to be THE report.

So for example, if THE report is in a journal, the standard applies, but if THE report is GL, and a journal article is written from it, maybe the standard shouldn't apply as strictly (so that you don't have lots of duplication).

Off the cuff thoughts, but I think it is important to suggest that the standard might apply more to reporting of work, rather than just GL, there are some published articles which omit what I would consider to be useful data about the event (like when it was done - how often do you see "in the summer of XXX" for example?

best wishes

Nick Boldrini

Historic Environment Record Officer

Durham County Council