From: The Forum for Information Standards in Heritage (FISH) [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of geoff carver [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 17 August 2010 11:27
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [FISH] HEGEL - access and standards

Just for the sake of getting some background: How far are you in implementing something like CIDOC? & not just “literature” in the form of site reports, but all site documentation (databases, graphics, GIS, etc.)?

From: The Forum for Information Standards in Heritage (FISH) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of csh3

But rather than discuss those particular issues within the frame of this HEGEL conference, I thought I’d try to expand on how the use of standards within grey literature may facilitate greater access to that grey literature.

Do forgive me if this is all old hat and I’m aware that if you stay in the ADS for more than 5 years then the word ‘metadata’ is ritually tattooed on some body part whether you like it or not; but your ability to find grey literature is only as good as the way in which it has been indexed and the provision of suitable metadata. The bibliographic information you find in biab is a classic example of a type of metadata. However, bibliographic metadata in biab, metadata created through the OASIS form or collected by AiP, metadata created within HERs and NMRs is all hand crafted and manually inputted into some form of database by someone.