From: Discussion list for disabled students and their support staff. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Rob Fidler
Sent: 05, August, 2010 08:08
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: New Students with Asperger's

At the University of Surrey we managed to obtain funding from the Widening Access Fund for a 2 year project which has enabled us to put on a 3 day induction programme for the first year students with ASCs.  Last year we had a new intake of 10 students and this year we are anticipating 8.  The students appear keen to participate in the programme as it enables them to get used to the campus and key members of staff in their departments and support services before the rest of the first years arrive.  As disability advisors we are also able to get to know the students quite well at the start of the academic year.  Putting support in place early seems to aid their transition into university life.
The sort of activities we put on are a mixture of social and orientation exercises.  They go to the local leisure centre, cinema, restaurant in town as well as getting to register for their course early, meet key staff such as personal tutors undergraduate administrators, counselling staff, accommodation wardens etc.  We also encourage them to get used to using the kitchen in their accommodation blocks. They receive talks from security, the student union, health centre staff, sports centre staff and so on to try and encourage them to access these and other services.  The group of students get to know each other and are able to use each other as a support mechanism during the first few weeks; some have gone on to form quite good friendships with each other.  We employ a number of mentors/support workers to run the programme, some of which continue to support individual students when their course starts.
Last year was quite successful with nearly all of the group continuing into year 2.  Hopefully we will get a similar response this year.  I would say that setting up such a programme is time consuming but in terms of getting the students engaged with their studies and new life as soon as possible it seems to help.  Any issues that do arise are more easily dealt with as the students feel more confident about approaching someone who they have got to know.  Hopefully it will also lead to more successful outcomes for this group of students.

Regards,

Rob Fidler