On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:55:16AM +0100, Andy Powell wrote:
> I agree this is interesting. I guess this is quite likely to become the norm (if it isn't already).
>
> On that basis, I suppose one could argue that a success
> criteria for DCMI will lie in the use of our ontology as a
> kind of secondary 'equivalence' or 'switching' layer between
> other ontologies, rather than (or as well as) in its direct
> use in instance metadata ?

At [1], Felix has just explained that the "ma:" namespace is
not designed primarily to be used in annotating resources,
but to provide precise mappings, via an API, to elements in
widely-used formats:

    The main application scenario for the ontology is access to existing
    multimedia metadata . Now, if you take an example like XMP
    http://www.w3.org/TR/mediaont-10/#d0e9670 , there is a title in terms of
    dc:title, and a title in terms of xmpDM:album. One has language information
    associated, the other hasn't. One is defined as an array, the other isn't.
    For a JavaScript developer who wants to use the media annotation ontology
    mappings via the API for media resources
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2009/WD-mediaont-api-1.0-20091020/ , this mapping
    information is crucial. Note that such constraints are rather technical
    (that is "data type" constraints), not a question of control about external
    vocabularies.

    There is another aspect: the only application scenario of the ontology is:
    being a mediator between existing formats, and the main usage scenario is to
    get information about a media resource, but not to annotate a resource using
    the "ma" properties. That puts the properties on an orthogonal level,
    compared to dublin core or other formats, who are mostly used for direct
    reading and writing. Note btw., that there was a discussion about a
    requirement to write metadata via the ontology
    http://www.w3.org/TR/2010/WD-media-annot-reqs-20100121/#req-r02 , but that
    so far did not lead to any results, since most of the mappings lead to loss
    of information, so writing in the base format does not work.

Tom

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-xg-lld/2010Aug/0072.html

--
Thomas Baker <[log in to unmask]>