From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tue Aug 24 18:23:32 2010
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Web Service Terms and Conditions

I think that this language does not deal with any data protection issue. It is a fairly standard licence in relation to intellectual property; the site wishing to ensure that it does have permission forever  to do whatever might have been protected by the organisation's intellectual property in the uploaded content. (Despite Lawrence's comments and millions that might be spent on lawyers, I think it works - but then I've written a few!)

It does not mean that if that content contains personal data (as well as, say, copyright work) that DPA issues have been addressed. Quite clearly they have not.

Nonetheless, I'm not sure that that part of DP 7 you highlight (instructions) is the right thing to worry about. It sounds to me - difficult to be certain without knowing more - that in relation to any uploaded personal data the web service itself will be the (or an additional) data controller and therefore need not act on instructions of your employer (the original controller).  It does however need to comply with 7th principle generally - ie security (but the site is - presumably - public, so that's a no-brainer).

Renzo Marchini
Dechert LLP
+44 (0) 20 7184 7563 direct
+44 (0) 20 7184 7001 fax