I agree with Tim – the DPA may be involved to the extent that disclosing the invoice discloses personal data, but I do not believe that this will breach the DPA. Either it’s a fraud or a complicated misunderstanding that the company need to resolve. I doubt it could be argued that it’s unfair or unlawful to inform a company how their money was used, even if this involves a disclosure of personal data. It should be in this person’s reasonable expectations, and telling them how their money was spent is neither excessive or inaccurate.

Tim Turner

NHS Manchester

From: This list is for those interested in Data Protection issues [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Tim Trent
Sent: 16 August 2010 16:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [data-protection] Fraud?

Surely there is no DPA involvement? The cheque was a company cheque and the company is entitled to know how the funds were applied.

What you are looking at here is potentially fraud. I suspect the involvement of the police is appropriate, either by your organisation which has realised now that a fraud has probably been perpetrated or by the company whose cheque it was.

Am I missing a huge mantrap here? I am sure the DPA was not intended to be used to hide a fraud.