Andrew,

We have no legislation as such but various commitments to encourage this
minimum passing distance:

(1) See Policy 2.9 (page 20) of our recently published National Cycle Policy
Framework re network design and passing distances:
http://www.smartertravel.ie/download/1/0902%2002%20EnglishNS1274%20Dept.%20of%20Transport_National_Cycle_Policy_v4.pdf

(2) See text of the email below (in blue) from Noel Gibbons, Road Safety
Officer from Mayo County Council (in the West of Ireland) that was sent to
Dr. Mike McKillen, Chair of Cyclist.ie (the National Cycle lobby group in
Ireland).  I have a pdf showing the sign that they used in Mayo but it is
not possible to attach a pdf on these group mails (as I've just
discovered!).

Email me if you want me to mail it directly to you (or if anyone else wants
it).

Best wishes from Dublin.
Damien

Damien Ó Tuama