Andrew Smith wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">On 04/08/2010 09:45, Alex Veitch wrote:

Personally (this really is just a personal view) I'm disappointed
that TfL didn't put some docking stations right next to major
stations, and I'd like to see your studies on this if that would be
possible to get more background on the issues.

TfL own that work of mine. Please can I recommend a Freedom of Information enquiry to them, for: "the London Analytics demand feasibility study for the cycle hire scheme."

And I'd be happy to discuss the whole area further - call me:
m: 0791 046 0601; t: 0330 6600 132.

Dave H, Eva H, John M - thanks for the updates re NS/OV-fiets. I expect to be over there again later this year or next year for some GHG work, and I'm now looking forward to trying out OV-fiets. I remember having conversations with NS 12 years ago, pointing out to them that they were the ones benefiting from good cycle access to stations, so they should be the ones contributing to good cycle facilities at stations. One of the many things I love about advising the Dutch: when you offer sensible proposals, they get on and implement them.

To this we might add that each rail traveller could carry out work on
the train, which would not be possible if they were driving or messing around transferring to a flight.  What hourly
rate per passenger might be justified here to account for the
benefit?

Whatever value of time you use for business-trip modelling, I guess.
Probably something around £20 per person-hour?

COBA or whatever the current name is, reckons of £5 as the value per hour of time savings for a business driver but that does not include an added value of any chargeable work done.  The Edinburgh-Glasgow corridor, of which I have a reasonably intimate knowledge, would offer around 1.25 hours of working time, allowing for getting settled and firing up the laptop.  A return car trip at current rats (35p/mile) is toughly £35 - plus parking (lets be optimistic at £5) and if you are lucky will take slightly less than 1.6 hours including parking the car.  A return rail trip costs under £19 - off peak just over £10

Bike Plus rail generally 30 min faster than driving and a lot cheaper
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Ian Perry wrote:

Each Velib in Paris is used 4 to 8 times a day.  London's once a day
 is not a disaster, but not what should be hoped for.

Commercially, financially, once or twice a day is bad news. And is not
entirely unexpected.

It is just my personal view, but I think that London is not offering
a complete package...  and needs to get its bike-sharing scheme
working properly, fast!

Velib has docking stations within 300 metres of the front doors of two
million people. That's the biggest difference between Paris and London.

About 200 bikes could be installed at Waterloo and talks with Network
Rail about other stations are in the early stages.

The Green-Hall report reckoned on 5% of footfall = cycle parking requirement doesn't account for mass interchange to other rail at some stations and in UK the huge % of folding bikes already in the mix - Waterloo 60% of bikes moving in/out at peak hours are folding bikes (40% are Bromptons).

Aside from tidal flow - the level of service for a hire points for a large number of users all arriving 'at same time' presents a major challenge and inhibitor to uptake - some Japanese parking and hire buildings have huge number of deposit/dispensing points, which present a major dilemma of resources required for a very short period, but costing a lot to install & maintain.

A rumbling of discontent is taking place at Nottingham, where the concept of secure parking is seen very differently by the users and the providers.
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">Nnnnng (the sound of me biting my tongue).

Regards,
Andrew