One of the reasons why Ive been getting excited about the speculative realist or objected-oriented `moment’ in philosophy is because of the issues it raises for thinking about the `geo’: earth processes, planetary dynamics, minerality and so on.

So much of the renewal of interest in materiality and non human agency over the last couple of decades – even, or especially – that which has come out of geography, has focussed on living things, or on technological objects and networks, leading to a strange silence about earth processes (odd to me, anyway, as a relatively recent migrant from sociology to geography….)

I think there’s a reason for this, and it relates to Simon’s timely and understandable concern about the disabling the political. I’d push it the other way and say that a lot of critical thought around the nonhuman has been so insistent on *not*  drifting away from fields of immediate political relevance (things that can and ought to be contested and done differently) that it has effectively steered clear of earth or cosmological processes –  or anything else which resists a certain immediacy of political purchase and recuperation (and that for me includes work by Latour, most of ANT and perhaps even non-representational geography).

But acknowledging that great chunks of reality aren’t always already political, aren’t easily open to re-negotiation or recuperation, doesn’t necessarily threaten critical political projects: it might just help us think through what is rare and precious about the political, and where our energies are best directed….and even, how to construct a politics around our reception or inheritance of the things we cant do differently.

So it strikes me that a lot of what the speculative realist thinkers are doing is opening up the question about how politics and ontology encounter each other.  Their willingness to question the idea that politics and ontology are co-extensive permits these writers to return to issues about the earth, the sun, geological forces and so on, in ways that critical social thinkers have been avoiding for quite a while (even Deleuze and Guattaris geo-philosophy hasn’t had quite the uptake in geography we might have expected…).  Take a look at the other relevant journal:  Collapse  - whole issues on geophilosophy, the Copernican view of the cosmos ...

Feels to me like this is a conversation that critical geographers might just want to be a part of, in our usual less-than-docile way ….

--nigel

Dr. Nigel Clark
Faculty of  Social Sciences: Geography

The Open University