From: "Lucy Hooper" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 2:16 PM
Subject: Strange Pipe!

Dear all,

Don’t know if you can shed any light on this, received a call form a
resident reporting unidentified above-ground piping in their garden, 38A
Grange Road, Egham.  In the rear garden of the house the resident had come
across two pipes in differing locations.  One was in the centre of the
garden around 6cm in diameter, 30-40cm in length above the ground but an
undetermined length below the ground; this could not be established due to a
blockage.  The pipes do not seem to be very deep in the ground as there was
some movement to it.  See the first picture)

The second pipe was located near the rear of the garden; it had a similar
diameter to the first pipe but was longer around 50-60cm above ground and an
estimated 4m below the ground (the resident has proven this depth and also
reported groundwater in the bass). In addition it had a fitting around the
top which could have allowed connection with another object. (See the second
picture)

My initial thoughts are an ingenious private water extraction from the
geology in the area which is the Kempton Park Gravel Formation, and
comprises a shallow held water body.  However any additional suggestions
would be welcomed!  The garden is within 150m of a petrol station but I am
not aware of any groundwater monitoring installations associated with any
investigation on such an area.

Ultimately I need to give them any advice I can as to what they should do
with them, as they wish to remove the pipes, by cutting them at ground level
and concreting over.  If they are a legacy form a former gardener, then I
see no reason as to why this cannot be recommended.

Thanks!