From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Harris Carl (RQ3) BCH [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 12 August 2010 11:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] British Psychological Society Section

Hello All

There are a number of issues to be taken into account in this process. Not least the level of participation amongst list members in the discussion of this process.

I can see how having to come to a decision now, without a wider participation in the process, already pushes us into a way of responding. Making a decision now also moves us towards an inaugural meeting in September, which again might reduce the possible participation in such a meeting (its not a lot of notice).

There are streams of thinking and streams of acting (not that these can be separated so clearly, viz praxis) in our network. We have yet to establish the way in which we should embed our shared values in practice.

The BPS section issue has moved on a long way since we took the decision to try and set it up. This was decided in a fairly democratic way at a conference. Can we take the fees decision as another step along the road to BPS section-hood (and just do it, with the proviso that it can be revised) or should we say that the value of inclusion takes precedence for the network and that it is this which should guide us at this point? Ie, we need to think about how we, as a network/discussion list, decide on issues like this (does this already elevate the network/discussion list as a higher order organization, relative to the section?).

Thanks for your email, Wendy. I had been about to send one that said “go for the £10 option”.

Cheers

Carl