From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List on behalf of Fryer, David
Sent: Wed 18/08/2010 06:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] guidance on acceptable list postings

Dear All

I am posting this time as co-moderator (with Grant) of this list in search of some guidance from you. It relates to whether research recruitment related posts are acceptable to you.

Someone who describes himself as an Advanced Doctoral Student at a US University and who describes his work as “designing on empowerment evaluation and its relationship to self–determination” who has “developed a new measure, based on the ten empowerment evaluation principles” has requested permission to use the UK CP list to ask “readers for guidance on accessing a potential sample of respondents” and has said that that “the anticipated response burden for participants will include the as yet to be named empowerment evaluation measure, a brief measure of social desirability, a brief empowerment measure, and a brief self –determination measure.  I have also developed an evaluator survey that includes items related to process, context, and relationship with participants.  Demographic data will be asked of both evaluation participants and evaluators; anonymity will be assured.”

I really appreciate this researcher contacting the moderators to seek guidance on this matter rather than just joining the list and posting the request and have told him so. I also told him I would like to consult list members on this matter.

Whilst I have my own views as a researcher in this style of research – as many others will have - that is not something it is appropriate to explore here and now.

Writing as a list member my own preference would be that this list does not become seen by researchers as a way to recruit participants as the list could potentially become deluged, especially give the size of the community psychology industry in the USA (if we approve this request we may have many more to consider as word spreads)

Writing as one of the list co-moderators I realise that there was some productive community psychological debate occasioned by Rhiannon’s request and that some list members were happy to get involved as participants.

What do you think?

Do we want to try to keep the list largely free from research recruitment requests (or at least keep such requests limited to bona fide list members).

Of course this is an open list which anyone can join and once joined can post what they choose to post but at least when people do us the courtesy of asking for permission to use the list in this way we could decide to politely inform the requester that list members would prefer not to have this sort of post

or

Do we want to encourage this person to post the message (we can revisit this in the future if such posts becomes a nuisance)?

David

___________________________________ The Community Psychology List has a new website/blog at: http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/ There is a threaded discussion forum: http://www.communitypsychology.co.uk/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi There is a twitter feed: http://twitter.com/CommPsychUK To post on the website blog, forum or twitter feed, contact Grant or David at the email addresses below. David Fryer ([log in to unmask]) or Grant Jeffrey ([log in to unmask]) To unsubscribe or to change your details on this COMMUNITYPSYCHUK list, visit the website: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A0=COMMUNITYPSYCHUK