From: SEAN CREIGHTON <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Sat, Aug 14, 2010 9:07 pm
Subject: Re: Left-right nonsense - The Spirit Level

I cannot see what relevant relationship there is between right-wing think-tanks' attacks on the Spirit Level and an individual criticism of the Guardian for calling Ferguson right-wing.

It's good to see robust debate and controversy entering the public realm again. By attacking The Spirit Level the right-wing think-tanks will give it more publicity, so that more of us might read it especially if up to now we have not noticed its existence!

It obviously provides food for thought for Ian Duncan-Smith's think-tank and for Frank Field, given his campaigning against poverty and for more equality when he ran Child Poverty Action Group and Low Pay Unit in the 1970s.

My blog contains items discussing the issue of left and right over Ferguson and the need to revisit the work of CPAG in the 1970s.

Sean
Blog: http://historyandsocialaction.blogspot.com