Barry,

We have mounted mini-joystick on the tray - using an ABS former and velcro.
For one client the joystick was mounted in the conventional upright position.

For the other on its side and activated via the patients index finger knuckle.

In both cases we also manufactured arm supports/troughs to velcro onto the tray so that the arm/hand was at the correct height and in the correct position.

We found that with both patients the 10gm activation force was ideal and they managed proportional control. The challenge was to provide reliable and repeatable positioning for access.

Regards,

Matthew

Dr M.G. Pepper
Head of Clinical and Rehabilitation Engineering
Medical Physics Department
Kent & Canterbury Hospital
East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust
Canterbury
Kent CT1 3NG

01227 864083
or ext 74801

>>> On 17/08/2010 at 10:39:29, in message <[log in to unmask]>, "Taylor, Barry" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Dear all
I'm casting around for ideas following a trial with PS2 & Wii joysticks
for driving wheelchairs.  Technically they work fine, but my client
doesn't have enough movement for them.

What are people using?  He hasn't tried the DX mini, because so far, he
won't accept mounting it in a hole in the wheelchair tray.  Does the 10g
deflection give us a better chance than the 50g of the Wii?

I don't think he's tried the DX "finger in the hole" joystick.  Have
people had success with this in Muscular Dystrophy?

Barry

Barry Taylor, Clinical Scientist
Medical Physics Service
Tulley Medical Physics Building, Hull Royal Infirmary
Anlaby Road, Hull HU3 2JZ

****Please note new phone numbers from May 2009:
Tel: 01482 608971, Fax: 01482 608951
Internal extension HRI 608971
Web page http://www.hey.nhs.uk & click on A to Z of Departments & then
Rehabilitation Engineering

Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
We Care - Visit us at: http://www.hey.nhs.uk

The content of this email and any attachment is private and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, disclosure, copying or forwarding of this email and/or its attachments is unauthorised. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender by email and delete this message and any attachments immediately. Nothing in this email shall bind the Trust in any contract or obligation, unless we have specifically agreed to be bound.

Virus Warning:

Although this email and any attachment are believed to be free from viruses, which might affect any system into which they are received or opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that they are virus free.  Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust accepts no responsibility for any loss or damage arising in any way from their receipt, opening or use.