Dear Allstat members,
I'm mailing to share the sad news that John Nelder died this morning in Luton & Dunstable Hospital, where he was recovering from a fall. He retained the strong interest in statistics and statistical computing, that we will remember with deep affection. However, he was becoming increasingly frail and, I gather, died peacefully in his sleep.

I will put an obitrary onto the VSNi website next week but, for now, I will only mention his legacy of general balance, generalized linear models, hierarchical general linear models - and GenStat - which will keep him always in our thoughts.
Best wishes, Roger

Dr Roger W Payne
Chief Science and Technology Officer,
VSN International,
5 The Waterhouse, Waterhouse Street,
Hemel Hempstead, Herts HP1 1ES, UK
Tel: +44-(0)1442-450238
Fax: +44-(0)870-1215653
Web: www.vsni.co.uk
Registered in England & Wales, company number: 4027977.
Registered Office: Hemel Hempstead (as above).

SIGNOFF allstat