Hi Susan

Is a GEEP some variation of a PEEP? Or perhaps this is just a terminology
issue?

Thanks

Shane

Shane Hogan
Senior Standards Officer
National Disability Authority

Email: [log in to unmask]
Web: http://www.nda.ie
Direct Line: 01-6080497

NDA eLearning Project - See http://short.ie/5cpaar

             "Fairburn, Susan
             - Corporate Core
             - Partnership                                              To
             Working Unit"             [log in to unmask]
             <Susan.Fairburn@O                                          cc
             XFORDSHIRE.GOV.UK
             >                                                     Subject
             Sent by:                  Re: PEEPS
             Accessibuilt list
             <ACCESSIBUILT@JIS
             CMAIL.AC.UK>

             13/08/2010 13:12

             Please respond to
             Accessibuilt list
             <ACCESSIBUILT@JIS
               CMAIL.AC.UK>

Dear Peter

I have just picked this up so apologies if someone has already suggested
this.  We try to encourage all staff, when sending out any sort of
invitation to a meeting, to include the following statement.

 Please let us know if you have any disability, diversity or dietary
requirements.  Please also let us know if you think you may have difficulty
getting out of the building in the event of an emergency

In order for people to make any sort of reasonable judgement in relation to
the second sentence we would include some background information about the
venue  and wherever possible try to hold meetings in accessible venues.

We also have notices up at our reception points asking people to let us
know if they have any concerns about leaving the building in the event of
an emergency.  Based on the response to the original question in the
invitation, organisers of meetings are, if required, supposed to follow an
appropriate GEEP for whoever is attending, and inform any relevant members
of staff   (eg Hall keepers if we required an EVAC chair evacuation).

Of course, this is what is supposed to happen but it often doesn't!  It
also doesn't help if people don't let you know until they arrive, but it is
a start and does raise the issue in the mind of those organising meetings.

Best wishes

Susan

Susan Fairburn
Equality and Diversity Adviser