From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Ruth Clydesdale
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, August 27, 2010 4:14 AM
Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Inclinant astra non necessitant

Yes, Jake, I agree - as long as you're not suggesting that 'pessimistic
Gnosticism' means going about with a long face.

You could argue that swearing and playing rock are ways of withdrawing into
the mind.  After all, Ficino's motto was
'laetus in praesens' - and according to his biographer he was fond of a
party and certainly didn't hold back on the drinking.  As I understand it,
withdrawing into the mind doesn't imply a pessimistic outlook: it's rather
that only by training the mind (as, for example, in meditation) that we can
choose what we think and thus look cheerfully upon whatever the fates throw
at us. You choose rock music and sometimes so do I.

We're back with Plato and the charioteer in Phaedrus here.

I've lurked on this list for ages, and now I'm wondering how you regulars get anything else done!

best,

Ruth

this is perhaps illustrative of how close Neoplatonism could be to
pessimistic Gnosticism, polemics notwithstanding.
Are there are also echoes of a similar notion in Kenneth Grant's ideas
about withdrawing into the 'Mauve Zone', the world - doomed by fate -
being past saving? Not my cup of tea, but then I swear and like Rock
'n' Roll, both of which he objects to.  ;-)

ALWays

Jake

http://www.underworld-apothecary.com/