  From: S Garrard
  To: [log in to unmask]
  Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:11 AM
  Subject: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] Inclinant astra non necessitant

  Thanks Ruth,  it's reassuring at least that someone else gave it a go!

  Perhaps it's a case of Ptolemy reworded that simply became a common phrase?

  Sam

  Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 15:39:51 +0100
  From: [log in to unmask]
  To: [log in to unmask]

  Hello Sam,

  Everyone seems blithely to attribute the maxim to Ptolemy, and in fact I thought I'd tracked the quote down some years back. But if I ever did, I can't now find the reference (of course).

  Verbum 5 of the Centiloquium states something not dissimilar: 'He that is skilful may divert many of the effects of the stars when he knows their natures...'

  Sorry, that's not very helpful, but as no one else has replied I thought I'd mention it.  I hope someone else has better luck/knowledge.

  cheers,

  Ruth