the bias against Tropical and towards Sidereal is something I used to
share back in the 1970s, it is an easy trap to fall into. So easy it
isn't necessary to study either system to buy it - pop Science for
example finds it a handy stick for the astrologers back.

As mentioned, the constellation of Scorpio is 72 degrees long,
strictly speaking that would give us over two months of people 'born
in Scorpio', while other 'Signs' (sic) would all be uneven, some
shorter even than 30 degrees. Well, okay that could work, but the idea
that Tropical matched Sidereal back when the beginning of Sign Aries
matched Constellation Aries is demolished by the equal Sign divisions
- they never matched entirely!

Now, on another thread we all accepted the Equinoxes and Solstices as
natural divisions. Well hey, they all begin Tropical Signs (zero
Aries, zero Leo, zero Scorpio, zero Aquarius). In other words the
Zodiac is divided in a natural fashion in terms of the Solar year -
*and remains so despite Precession*

We argued also that the Seasons mean something, again the Signs remain
constant because the Seasons do (as constant as a weather system
anyway). Folks are born into that Season, and the characteristics are
true of that time. Plus - and this is something many miss - the
planetary aspects of that time, in many ways more important than the
Signs they occupy, are accurately denoted by Tropical conventions. So
it is the *interpretations* not the *designations* that give Tropical
Astrology its effectiveness.

This brings us round to *observation* versus unthinking acceptance,
another issue we've encountered on this diversifying thread! Good
astrologers keep case files, so interpretation is based on experience.
If there are changes in the significance of a *Sign* due to different
stars entering it, well hey, experience will gradually transform the
interpretation.

I know where the important stars are, and can readily refer to that
position in terms of the conventions of Tropical Astrology: Regulus
for example - 29:41 Leo. This enables me to keep track of its risings
and settings, as well as its conjunctions &c. So I am still taking the
stars into account. There is another set of supposedly 'arbitrary'
divisions where the Stars are more important still, the equal length
Lunar Mansions (compared to the uneven Chinese ones, and the equal but
Sidereal Hindu ones). Precession changes the stellar content of these
over time, and in this instance too it is perfectly legitimate to
track the stars new positions in terms of the existing divisions,
rather than re-rig the divisions.

As said earlier, I don't consider myself an astrologer. I'm just
familiar with the history, terminology & methodology, and know how to
erect a chart/read an ephemeris. Compared to some of my colleagues who
know what sign is rising and where the planets are just from hearing
your date and place of birth; who can visualise the 3D heavens turning
in their heads - I'm no astrologer! The idea that the conventions
these folks employ makes them any less effective is entirely
redundant!

In short, the bias against Tropical - and the name calling we've seen
shows clearly that there is one - is based on insufficient familiarity
with an eminently workable system.

The Western Tradition of Magic owes far, far more to *Tropical
Astrology* than 'Cabala'. Thus this prejudice is a major stumbling
block to comprehension, and corrosive of the Tradition's consistency.

ALWays

Jake

http://www.underworld-apothecary.com/