Following this interesting thread I'd like to observe that many of the types described have been focused on subject matter areas: in, by for, etc.  I'm finding it more useful to distinguish by types of research activity, not the focus of study.

These would be research to discover information: discovery research; and research to evaluate and predict: evaluative research. Since the second category uses two words it implies separate activities, but I'm not there yet. One (to evaluate and predict) seeks to draw inferences and develop principles, the other to find out what is or might be. These tend to use different methodologies and techniques.

Within these two categories I'm finding, and Mauricio has found, that design has it's own issues and challenges that seem to be unique. I believe as we develop techniques to address these distinct issues we will eventually form a distinctive design research.