Yes I would! These things tend to get presented as needing an instant
answer!

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: Starlink development [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of
Tim Jenness
Sent: 21 July 2010 20:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Terabyte HDS scratch

Surely Brian would know how to close and reopen the temp file system?
Does hdsShow list many long lived temp files? I wonder why they never
get cleaned up.

On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Malcolm J. Currie wrote:

>> Sorry Malcolm, you're in uncharted territory as far as I am
concerned.
>> Some experimentation required I think.
>
> If we had an up-to-date internals manual for HDS I might know where to
start looking.  As I said to Brian, I'm quite happy to answer some of
the questions empirically, if I knew how to access the top-level locator
for a monolith's scratch container file.

> I could create a temporary file near the start of the monolith
routine, get its locator, CALL DAT_PAREN, annul the workspace, and then
at the end of the monolith call HDS_ERASE on the parent locator.  OK,
let's try that.  If this or some variant works, we should consider
including in the Fixed Part.

--
Tim Jenness
Joint Astronomy Centre