Unethical behaviour in JASSS?: Judge by yourself

Thanks to the hard work of Prof. Nigel Gilbert and some others, the Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulations (JASSS) has become a central reference for our academic community. JASSS has become a very important journal in our field. Growth and increased importance carries with it increased responsibility.

The journal has to find ways to deal with the rare cases of unethical behaviour that may pop up in its publications. Here I want to focus on non-peer reviewed articles of mostly peer-review books that appear in the section “Book Reviews” of JASSS.  I have been a victim of unethical behaviour (see “Uncovering a professional charlatan”) and the journal does not find ways to deal with this case.

I think our community should help the editors of JASSS in devising mechanisms to handle such cases. I specifically suggest that the journal should accept “Reviews of Reviews” in the “Book Review” section in which errors in book reviews could be handled. I believe this is important as even non-scientific journals with very tight space constraints, such as “The Economist”, for example, publish comments on their book reviews.

Do you have any suggestions?

--
Klaus Jaffe Carbonell
Universidad Simón Bolívar