From: Charlie Butler [log in to unmask]
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 10:08:16 +0100
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SIDNEY-SPENSER: Renaissance rhetoric question

On 16 July 2010 00:52, Dennis Moore <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 20 words for snow? Usually viewed as an urban legend.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eskimo_words_for_snow

Mind you, the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis is alive and well elsewhere. I recently
heard a BBC journalist mention, as if it were a measure of how endemic
corruption was in Afghanistan, that they have a dozen words meaning
"bribe". (By contrast, the fact that we have kick-back, bung, back-hander,
sweetener, inducement, tip, pay-off, tribute, protection money, hush money,
palm-grease, fix, etc, is just a measure of the inexhaustible richness of
the English language.)

But I rather like the irony that we have to turn to French to say "Je ne
sais quoi."

Sorry if that was off-topos.

Charlie

--