Late Sixteenth century England had no word for "emotion" (except in the
sense of "political disturbance"), which does not arise in English
until, I think, Florio's translation of Montaigne. Of course, they had
"passion," but one doesn't always want to emphasize the passive side of
feeling. When they wanted to emphasize the active side of feeling, they
needed another word. So Spenser, for example, just makes up very similar
words: emmove, amove, etc... Spenser's neologisms, I think, arise out of
the situation that Jean describes (whatever the name for it may be [I'd
call it "being at a loss for words"]). Brad

--
Brad Tuggle
Honors College