A man’s head pushes from a jaguar’s skull,
forcing jaws wide. The animal is dead.
It’s fur is still there; and facial anger,
spilling itself at us beyond its death
the way blood splashes nearby just after
beheading with a sharp sword, the soft splat,
one multiple landing of viscous gobs,
wet paper saturation on floor tiles.

Now a pain can start. It’s all been stitched up.
Each is victim but the jaguar has strength
being devoid of sense experience
unlike the other who shall have knowledge
from his nerves in deep enlarging details
as we purify ourselves in his suffering.

--
Bartender: You really think the world's gonna end?
Ford: Yes.

Lawrence Upton
AHRC Creative Research Fellow
Dept of Music