four lines i.m. Pete Morgan and Bengt Emil Johnson
(2 fine poets whom I doubt ever met, both dead this month)

An unruly tongue is the hero's enemy.

Imaginary celebration becomes disservice.

Love provokes from behind genocide.

Fiction condenses images of war into everyday motives/

"This is not a time for foolery, or compliments. It may be that both of us
are within a few minutes of death... And I, at any rate, don't propose to
die with polite insincerities in my mouth. "
C S Lewis - That Hideous Strength
---
Lawrence Upton
AHRC Creative Research Fellow