Silvan Tomkins, from "Shame and its sisters" edited by Eve Kosofsky
Sedgwick and Adam Frank, describes the innate affect of distress as
uniquely human.

This negative affect of distress is the affect most often encountered by
humanist artists and writers, it seems to me. (Deleuze is also
profoundly humanist with his vitalist ideas.)

Having recently encountered, thought about and looked at human distress,
one is more or less infected and affected by depression and distress.
This may be one reason why artists and poets who must encounter what is
human distress often fall into a messy depression and perhaps must fall
into this black hole. So how to escape this messy humanity for a better?

Just a few ideas I have encountered. The way this seems almost the only
option, also gives way to happy comic affects which are also a feedback
to the negative feeling of distress. So again, the artistic creation
survives the negative. (As an eternal return?)

For art to work, it seems, must overcome human distress. So, must be a
profound humanism.

Anyways, open to comments and other thoughts/ideas.

--
have chronic fatigue syndrome so may be delayed in reply or brain fog weird

just to let you know that's all, Chris Jones.

Blog: http://abdevpoetics.blogspot.com/