From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Eccleston Di
Sent: 13 July 2010 15:33
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] sickness abscence management

Hi Lucy
You probably remember the triage project we did a few years ago now, well we have just got approval to appoint a band 6 to lead on an OH telephone triage for a selected number of areas with high sickness and high bank use. This follows the pilot we did in 2008 on 9 wards/depts which showed the following:(extract below)

A pilot project was undertaken May to October 2008 with objectives to help reduce the length of each episode of sickness absence. This involved advising staff off sick about appropriate measures they may take and to closely liaise with managers providing feedback on all contacts made with staff off sick in their areas.

Rather than use an expensive external provider, an in house modified version was designed. This retained local management responsibility and control between employee and departmental manager, but also included Occupational Health as a link between the two. One OH nurse worked full time to cover the 9 areas. Staff continued to call their manager when off sick, an email template was then sent to OH with the employee details, contact number etc. OH then contacted the employee to ask how they were, what treatment/support they had or needed, reminded to stay in contact with their manager and arrangements made for further contact if necessary.The manager was emailed with an outcome after each contact made and advice given about referring if apporpiate.

The total number of sickness absence days lost for the period May 2008 to October 2008 within the 9 pilot departments compared to the same period in 2007 reduced by a total of 934.02 days at a potential saving of £118,620

60% of staff felt the contact made by OH had been a positive experience, less than 3% felt it intrusive or threatening. Many commented that the scheme made them feel cared about. Most managers found the system very supportive and felt it had positively assisted them to manage sickness absence. Persistently absent staff would be more easily identified through this system and could be managed more quickly and effectively through tighter communication between OH, the manager, HR and the staff member.

It is only for 6 months initially but we will look at SA and bank use as measures - our current sickness absence of 4.9% (11 days per employee pa) costs £4.8m in lost salaries, a reduction of 0.5% would save more than £40k each month - so if it shows a reduction may hopefully continue. We will be closely monitoring it so will keep you posted