from a personal point of view - my mum has been attending beauty colleges as a customer and she completes a disclaimer asking relevent medical conditions and signs this stating she is happy to go ahead with the treatment.

I have also attended a couple of times and they ask skin type and any medical conditions and sign the completed form.

If they have any concerns the treatments are not completed

tracey

Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 22:38:12 +0100
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Beauty Treatments & Disclaimers
To: [log in to unmask]

Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Beauty Treatments & Disclaimers What a waste of a GPs time (and the individual’s money) to provide the letter referred to. With all due respect to most of my medical colleagues they are no better placed to comment on the side effects of the therapies listed below than the therapist who is giving the treatment. I can see rationale behind a treatment such as massages involving deep lymphatic drainage being  contraindicated in someone with cancer but am not sure if there is any concern between the therapies listed and hypo-hypertheroid function. Where is the evidence anyway? Seems to me that the college is just trying to cover their backs. Agree with  Alan’s stance – if the therapist is unsure whether the therapy is safe then they shouldn’t be doing it!

Anne