Hi Carol

This issue came up for me during the Ethics application.  As  well as GP, midwife and obstetrician I discussed the fact that in my area midwives have direct access to psychological support should this be deemed appropriate.   This seemed to reassure the Ethic Committee.  Good luck with it

Sally

From: A forum for discussion on midwifery and reproductive health research. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Carol Lambert
Sent: 05 July 2010 15:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Advice on Ethics

Hello,

I wonder if anyone can advise me on something that has come up from a UK NHS Research Ethics review.

I am a PhD researcher and a midwife, not clinically practicing. As researcher, I cannot advise women on their pregnancy. I have documented that I will advise them to seek advice from their midwife on care and pregnancy related issues.

As a result of the interviewing process, they could feel distressed by thoughts/feelings they disclose, other than advising them to speak to their midwife/health professional if this occurs, how can I identify a robust system to deal with distress caused by taking part in the study?

I feel sure someone else must have come across this and I would be interested to hear how this could be or has been addressed.

Thank you in advance

Carol