I seem to remember the Library of Congress wrote something about its involvement with the Flickr Commons but I cannot pinpoint it.
Gail

>>> "Birchall, Danny" <[log in to unmask]> 09 July 2010 >>>
Hi

Time for a Friday question....I can't imagine that there are many
cultural heritage orgs that haven't used Flickr groups around their
subject areas. Usually 'user engagement' is seen as sufficient
justification for setting up a pool (I wouldn't argue with that) and
success measured as a function of participation.

But does anyone know of any papers/essays/posts written from a
curatorial viewpoint discussing how the content of Flickr pools might
have reflected on an organisation's collections, increased understanding
of the subject area, or otherwise added to enlightenment and
understanding that wasn't there before?

Natasha Waterson & Fiona Romeo's paper on Astronomy Photography of the
Year touches on some of these issues:
http://www.archimuse.com/mw2010/papers/romeo/romeo.html

... can anyone think of any others?

Thanks for any inspiration you can offer

Danny

Danny Birchall
Web Editor, Wellcome Collection
Wellcome Trust