On 1 July 2010 09:56, Martin Grimes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

We're just about to launch a low-key pilot project using QR codes on 20
> works of public art throughout the city centre. It is I'm afraid very much
> in the category that Frankie is yet to be convinced of, in that the codes,
> placed on each of the works, take the visitor to a web page containing more
> information about the artwork. In its defence though I will say that the
> content has been developed with mobiles phones in mind, both in terms of
> presentation and in the style of interpretation, which is bite size, quirky
> and occasionally irreverent.

More importantly, you're adding interpretation of existing artworks that are
outside, in the public realm. So this is a pretty good use-case for a mobile
web site & QR codes, as it'd be pretty impossible to add the interpretation
via a label, panel or touchscreen kiosk!

That said, GPS geolocation may also work for identifying which artwork
you're standing in front of in this instance (and now works in many mobile
phone browsers).

The key thing though is awareness. Do QR codes work in prompting people to
look up information that they might not otherwise? Or is it more effective
to raise awareness of the website whilst people are at a computer (eg via
ads, social media, links, etc) and then hope that they remember to use the
website/QR codes when they next spot an artwork that they're interested in?

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle