On 19 July 2010 16:23, Jason Webber <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I'm considering doing some audio slideshows similar to these on the bbc
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7713115.stm
>
> Has anyone else tried anything similar, if so what are the experiences,
> dangers and implications?
>
> I'm keen that they can be seen on mobile devices such as iPhones which
> rules out Flash. Other than using Youtube are there any other credible ways
> round this?

You could definitely do this with javascript and the <audio> tag (and using
MP3 as the encoding format) - however it'd only work in fairly modern
browsers (such as recent versions of Firefox, Chrome and Safari).  It should
work on the iPhone and newer versions of Android, and perhaps even via Opera
on other mobiles. This is probably the most 'future-proof' way of doing it,
and in theory the most accessible too (as browsers could offer the means to
directly control the audio, and the slides could use text as well as image).
 It may be a bit too far-ahead for you for the time being though?

Simplest and most cross-platform way of doing it is probably to simply
create a video of the whole thing, and then encode it in a few different
formats (H.264 for Safari/iPhone, WebM for Chrome/Firefox, etc) and then
embed them all using the <video> tag (which lets browsers pick whichever
format they prefer), with a Flash based embedded video as a fall-back for
browsers that don't support the video tag.   That should pretty much work in
all browsers, and is what sites like YouTube and Vimeo are doing.  Bit of a
pain to have to use so many different encodings though... (which is why many
people simply use one of those video hosting sites).

Incidentally, whilst I agree with Mike that SMIL is pretty much dead, Timed
Text as a simple format for subtitles is still being used.  It's not
supported directly by browsers, but the BBC's iPlayer service supports it
within Flash (I don't know whether there are any javascript
implementations).  Here's the file from yesterday's News At One, for
instance:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/subtitles/ng/b00t/5gz9/b00t5gz9_live.xml

Frankie

--