From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Smith, Nicky
Sent: 01 July 2010 14:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Staff Concessions - new books

I'm  slightly baffled here. How have staff got 'privileged access' if they can't borrow new books. Surely this means they have extremely poor access? Why should staff not put their name on a waiting list for the new Harry Potter, just as any other library member can?  I'm currently reading the new Bill Bryson - I reserved it as soon as I noticed it on the catalogue (just as anyone can). I shall return it early next week. It certainly wouldn't improve my morale (or my knowledge of the library's stock) if I was told that I had to wait a few months even though I am a library member. Or are some library members less equal than others?

Nicky Smith
Reference Librarian,
Marylebone Information Service,
97-113 Marylebone Road