Come What May: mainstreaming social justice in libraries

The new coalition government is driving changes and cutting costs. How can libraries remain committed to social inclusion and deliver social justice in the new climate?  And what will the ‘Big Society’ mean for libraries?

Wednesday 3rd November 2010 at the Vassall Centre, Gill Avenue, Bristol, BS16 2QQ.

LibrariesWest and BASIN (Bristol Area Social Inclusion Network) are hosting another in their series of unique one-day seminars. The seminar will be led by John Vincent from The Network, and will consist of a mixture of factual presentation, small group work and large group discussion. Handouts will be available on the day. Some of the wide range of disability organisations based at the Centre will be invited to participate.

The seminar is aimed at people working in libraries who will be planning and delivering services with inclusion in mind.  It will address concerns over the changes in emphasis from the new government.

Learning outcomes

Details and directions for the venue can be found at:

www.vassallcentre.org/conference-centre

The venue is fully accessible and there is free car parking in and around the Centre. The nearest rail station is Bristol Parkway, and buses 5 and 5A from the city centre stop outside the Vassall Centre.

The cost is £110 (exclusive of VAT), £50 for students and unwaged, and includes refreshments and a buffet lunch. Bookings received by 10th September will receive an 'Early Bird' discount of £20. This does not apply to bookings made at the student/unwaged rate.

Programme

9.30 – 10am  Registration and refreshments

10am              Welcome/introductions

10.15am         “What shall we call it? And what will it mean?” – A briefing on the new Government’s approach to social inclusion

11am              Break

11.20am         How is this being reflected in your service?

11.50am         Case studies of good social inclusion work

12.30pm         Lunch (included).  Networking and opportunity to visit disability organisations onsite

1.15pm           How do we keep this work going?

                        Afternoon to consist of sessions on:

·        Commitment - political, management, staff

·        Resources

·        Mainstreaming: putting social justice at the core of our work / moving from projects to mainstream / priorities / what happens in everyday work

·        Partnerships, the community and resources

·        Evaluation & advocacy

3.30pm           What can I do? Practical ideas that we can all implement – and some plans

4.00pm           Close

Some comments from delegates at our most recent seminar:

 Very practical and focussed”

“Workshops and presentations very useful in raising awareness of issues”

 “The day covered many areas that hadn’t crossed my mind, so opened my eyes to new things”

“Exceeded my expectations and so glad I attended”

 “I feel more confident about contributing to development in this area”

To book a place on this seminar please return the completed form to: J[log in to unmask] or by post to Jon Scown, Cultural Services Admin Centre, Mount St, Bridgwater, TA6 3ES by 10th October 2010.

Name

Organisation

Address

Postcode

Email

Name & address for invoice (if different from above)

Special access/dietary requirements

Cancellations will be refunded in full if notified by 11th October. Cancellations from 12th October onwards will not be refunded. Substitutions may be made at any time.

This communication is intended solely for the person (s) or organisation to whom it is addressed. It may
contain privileged and confidential information and if you are not the intended recipient (s), you must not
copy, distribute or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify
the sender and copy the message to [log in to unmask]

Individuals are advised that by replying to, or sending an e-mail message to Somerset County Council, you
accept that you have no explicit or implicit expectation of privacy.

In line with the Surveillance and Monitoring Policy, any e-mail messages (and attachments) transmitted over
the Council’s network may be subject to scrutiny.