From: lis-pub-libs: UK Public Libraries [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Louisa Steel Lib Audience Development Officer : Business Information
Sent: 15 July 2010 14:31
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Endorsement of local businesses

In Essex we have a very proactive Business Information Service. We work in partnership with other local business support services such as the Chambers of Commerce, Federation of Small Businesses and Business Link. Much of the marketing is done via attendance at business clubs and networking groups. As part of the library service we have always been impartial and never endorse specific businesses, just direct enquirers to local businesses directories, trade associations, etc. However I always feel slightly uncomfortable, particularly at networking events, promoting our service to businesses but being unable to promote them in return. I would be interested to hear if other Business Information Services have faced this dilemma and how you deal with this?

Louisa Steel

Adults, Health and Community Wellbeing: Libraries

Essex County Council | telephone: 01245 492535  email: [log in to unmask]

EW7

THIS E-MAIL AND ANY ATTACHED FILES ARE CONFIDENTIAL AND MAY BE LEGALLY PRIVILEGED. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, reproduction, copying, distribution or other dissemination or use of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error please notify the sender immediately and then delete this e-mail. Opinions, advice or facts included in this message are given without any warranties or intention to enter into a contractual relationship with the City of London unless specifically indicated otherwise by agreement, letter or facsimile signed by a City of London authorised signatory. Any part of this e-mail which is purely personal in nature is not authorised by the City of London. All e-mail through the City of London's gateway is potentially the subject of monitoring. All liability for errors and viruses is excluded. Please note that in so far as the City of London falls within the scope of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 or the Environmental Information Regulations 2004, it may need to disclose this e-mail. Website: http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk