Hi Samantha

E-learning for HealthCare (e-LfH) is one of main suppliers of e-learning content for the National Learning Management System (NLMS). The NLMS is an NHS initiative working with Electronic Staff Records (ESR) and Oracle Learning Management (OLM) to combine the functionality of all the systems to train, track and report on NHS Staff training. For further information regarding NLMS click on:  http://www.esrsolution.co.uk/nlms/

Pennine Acute used to access e-learning content through a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), but unfortunately the VLE contract expired on the 31st March 2010 and the Trust decided to implement NLMS as this automatically updates your training history.

If your trust has an e-learning lead they will be aware of this, as some trusts use their own Learning Management System such as a VLE and some like us have opted for the NLMS, there are approx 160 courses available on the NLMS currently, I know these programmes have been created nationally but I run them past a Trust subject expert in order to make sure they do not contradict or mislead our staff against trust policies and also they are aware they exist before we start publicising them as you don’t want a member of staff to complete 2 hours of online learning and then to be told they will need to attend the local course as well. We have created a number of locally produced e-learning programmes.

Also you need to make sure your Education department is aware staff are completing these programmes as e-LfH have their own Learning Management System and as an Education department they are unaware this training has taken place. The trust can encounter fines regarding compliances of their staff so the education department records need to be up to date. If staff access the programmes through the NLMS the Education department will be able to report on if the individual has completed the programme or not. There are also issues with the quality of the content making sure the programme records and tracks correctly within the system it is being accessed on, for example: Does it retain the required pass mark if needed?

We were one of first trusts to implement the NLMS in April 2010 and are managing to get to grips with it now. I would be in favour of implementing the NLMS in cooperation with your education department and therefore you will only have one single route to promote and manage instead of all the national providers’ website as well.

Any problems please do not hesitate to contact me.

Many thanks

John

John Bramwell

E-learning & Library Systems Manager