From: Heads of Educational Development Services [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ian Scott [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 01 July 2010 13:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Contact hours

This is an interesting question as ‘number of contact hours’ seems likely to be one of the aspects of  the information that Universities are going to be asked to make public.

At present all we have is a statement of what ‘contact’ can include and it is hidden with Union/University agreements rather than made explicit to students.

In terms of numbers of hours required for effective learning I this will depend on the nature of the subject and the quality of that contact and of course, what constitutes contact in on-line learning could be debated for rather a long time.

Regards

Ian

Dr. Ian Scott

Head of Academic Practice and Development Unit

University of Worcester

Henwick Grove
Worcester

WR2 6AJ

Tel 01905 542191

Email [log in to unmask]

http://www.worcester.ac.uk/adpu/

Co-author of

Ely C. & Scott I. (2007) Essential Study Skills for Nursing. Mosby Elsevier, Edinburgh.

and

Scott I. & Mazhindu D. (2005) Statistics for health care professionals: An introduction SAGE, London.