From: Discussion list for Shibboleth developments [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Alistair Young
Sent: 30 June 2010 14:04
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Edina/SDSS SP "timeout"?

It's the same for us Mike. I seem to remember something about IPV6 being a problem.

Alistair

--
mov eax,1
mov ebx,0

On 30 Jun 2010, at 12:32, Michael White wrote:

Hi folks,

Here's one of those "is it just me?" questions/issues . . .

Following our recent upgrade to Shib 2, I'm tweaking/testing all our links to Shib protected resources. I've noticed an issue with access to NewsFilm Online and Statistical Accounts of Scotland.

Using the SP supplied WAYFless URLs, which for us are:

https://sp.edina.ac.uk/nfo/Shibboleth.sso/WAYF/UKFederation?providerId=https://idp.shibboleth.stir.ac.uk/shibboleth
https://target.sdss.ac.uk/statacc/Shibboleth.sso/WAYF/UKFederation?providerId=https://idp.shibboleth.stir.ac.uk/shibboleth

- these work, but seem to take "forever" to get access - I just timed trying to access NFO via the first link and it was nearly 90 seconds before I got redirected back to our IdP. Access to SAS is almost as bad, with it taking 75 seconds before I was redirected back to our IdP. These kinds of delays generally suggest something, somewhere waiting for something to happen, that isn't - so everything just hangs until the wait "times out" . .

I've tried this from a couple of different machines, using a variety of browsers, with the same results . .

I don't know if these sites usually take this long to respond as I don't use the services myself (my role in all this is just to keep the IdP running!) - I also don't know if these slow responses are a consequence of our recent upgrade or not. I've certainly not received complaints from library staff or students relating to these resources in the past, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been a problem! And 95% of our resources are now running via our Shib 2 IdP without issues.

So, just wondering what other's experiences of Shibboleth access to these services is? Is it just me, or are others experiencing some kind of timeout issue with these SPs?

Cheers,

Mike
Michael White
eLearning Developer
eLearning Liaison & Development (eLD)
3V3a, Cottrell
University of Stirling
Stirling SCOTLAND
FK9 4LA
Tel: +44 (0) 1786 466877
Fax: +44 (0) 1786 466880
http://www.is.stir.ac.uk/aboutis/teams/aldt/eld.php

The Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2009/2010
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland, number SC 011159.