  *Lansley announces public health 'vision'*

7 July, 2010 | By Dave West <http://www.hsj.co.uk/dave-west/2231.bio>

Andrew Lansley has announced a “whole new approach” to public health in
which, he says, the government will shape individuals’ behaviour and
choice rather than control supply.

The health secretary, speaking at the UK Faculty of Public Health
<http://www.hsj.co.uk/topics/public-health> annual conference today,
said: “My vision is for a new public health service which rebalances our
approach to health, and draws together a national strategy and
leadership, alongside local leadership and delivery and, above-all, a
new sense of community and social responsibility.”

He said there would be a “new responsibility deal between government and
business built on shared social responsibility and not state
regulation”, and a cabinet sub-committee on public health will “tackle
the drivers of demand on the NHS”.

Mr Lansley <http://www.hsj.co.uk/people/andrew-lansley> announced a
reorganised structure for local public health functions, which are
currently based with primary care <http://www.hsj.co.uk/primary-care/>
trusts. He said there would be a ring fenced public health budget and
new authority for public heath directors.

Funds will be targeted at areas with the poorest health. Mr Lansley said
there would be more detail in a white paper - separate to his proposals
for the NHS - later this year.

Notably absent from the announcement was a proposal to rename the
Department of Health
<http://www.hsj.co.uk/organisations/department-of-health> to the
Department of Public Health, as had been proposed by the Conservatives
<http://www.hsj.co.uk/topics/conservative-nhs-policy> before the election.

It is also unclear whether public health directors will have
strengthened links with local authorities.

Mr Lansley said: “For too long our approach to public health has been
fragmented, overly complex and sadly ineffective. We want to free the
system up – to create a framework which empowers people to make the
changes that will really make a difference to the nation’s lives.

“Working with communities and schools to develop young people’s
confidence and self-esteem. Seeing diet, exercise and education about
drugs, alcohol and smoking not as an end in itself, but as a means to an
end, to empower young people to take better decisions when young, so
that they enjoy greater health and well-being though life.

“This is why we need genuinely local strategies, based in neighbourhoods
and schools. We need to throw off the old ways and start seeing people
and families as a whole, using local voluntary and charitable
organisations more, cutting across boundaries, encouraging innovation
<http://www.hsj.co.uk/5002085.article>, utilising the power of
technology <http://www.hsj.co.uk/news/technology/>, joining up
professions and budgets and putting the people – not the system – at the
heart of the strategy.”

He said the system should be “accountable for results, not for processes”.

“We will not be dictating the ‘how’ when it comes to achieving better
public health outcomes. But we will be very clear about the ‘what’ –
what we want to measure and achieve, such as: increases in life
expectancy, decreases in infant mortality
<http://www.hsj.co.uk/topics/mortality-rates/> and health inequalities
<http://www.hsj.co.uk/topics/health-inequalities>, improved immunisation
rates, reduced childhood obesity <http://www.hsj.co.uk/5003443.article>,
fewer alcohol related admissions to hospital, and more people taking
part in physical activity.”