The POWER Study (Project for an Ontario Women's Health Evidence-based Report) Musculoskeletal Conditions chapter is now available for download.

The POWER Study (Project for an Ontario Women's Health Evidence-based Report) is producing a Women's Health Equity Report to serve as an evidence-based tool for policy makers, providers, and consumers in their efforts to improve health and reduce health inequities among Ontario women.

We are reporting on the overall health of women and men in Ontario, their access to health care services, and quality and outcomes of care for the leading causes of illness and death, including cancer, heart disease, depression, diabetes, musculoskeletal disorders, and reproductive health and how they differ by gender, socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and geography.

Musculoskeletal (MSK) Conditions limit physical function, impose significant pain and suffering and are the number one cause of disability in Ontario. As a result, the associated costs to our health care system and to society are staggering. This chapter examines condition-specific prevalence, indicators of health and functional status, access and utilization of services and clinical care indicators for osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoporosis. We examine performance on these indicators for women and men and assess differences by income, education, age and geography.

To download a copy of the full chapter or the highlights document (which outlines the chapter's key findings and messages):  http://www.powerstudy.ca/the-power-report/the-power-report-volume-2/musculoskeletal-conditions

The Musculoskeletal Chapter Highlights document is also available in French:

http://www.powerstudy.ca/l-etude-power/volume-2

Also available for download from www.powerstudy.ca: Introduction to the POWER Study (Ch 1); The POWER Study Framework (Ch 2); Burden of Illness (Ch 3); Cancer (Ch 4); Depression (Ch 5), Cardiovascular Disease (Ch 6) and Access to Health Care Services (Ch 7).

Volume 2 chapters, including chapters on Diabetes, Reproductive Health and HIV are forthcoming

The POWER Study is funded by Echo: Improving Women's Health in Ontario, an agency of the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care. This report does not necessarily reflect the views of Echo or the Ministry. We welcome your thoughts and feedback on the Report.

Arlene S. Bierman, MD, MS
Ontario Women's Health Council Chair in Women's Health, University of Toronto
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute
St. Michael's Hospital
30 Bond Street (193 Yonge Street)
Toronto, ON  M5B 1W8