Without commenting on the proposals themselves, in fairness these have been part of Conservative plans for some years if you look back at their policy papers. Maybe the full implications were glossed over, or just under-reported because they sounded a bit techy. Whether their Coalition partners have cottoned on to the full implications is unclear. But with a secure majority and the unions fighting bigger battles in non-ring-fenced areas of the public sector, expect to see much faster and further reaching reform than under Labour.

From: The Health Equity Network (HEN) [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Mike hughes
Sent: 01 July 2010 09:51
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: GP commissioning

Interesting, and not just naive but intellectually incompetent. You can't have complete seperation of comissioning and providing AND GP commissioning. This is true a priori, it isn't a matter of judgement.

In the quasi economy of the nhs where the patient isn't the consumer but the goods, and GPs create demand as well as satisfying some of it, it remains to be seen whether unversal GP commissioning will introduce the personalisation of care that is so hard to acheive properly in a command commissioning model....

Sent from my iPhone