In Manchester we have been reinstalling data servers without drining
since 2006. It was a must with dcache on the WNs. Originally the OS and
data were on two different disks, but in the past couple of years, to
support VOs other than atlas, we have converted a number of WNs to small
data servers with raid0 on the two disks and we are reinstalling the OS
without draining in this configuration too.

cheers
alessandra