Apologies for multiple postings

Position of LabManager DualBeam Electron Microscope at GFZ Potsdam

Within the framework of the international research group ‚Nanoscale Processes and Geomaterials Properties (FOR 741)‘ funded by the German Science Foundation we investigate processes underlying phase and fabric changes in geological materials on the micro- and nanometer scale. We conduct interdisciplinary projects in both experimental systems and natural rocks aiming at transient bulk material properties and their effects on geodynamical processes.

The department 3 ‘Geodynamics’, section 3.2 ‘Geomechanics and Rheology’ invites applications for a

Lab-manager position (Post-Doc, m/f) for the dual-beam (FIB/SEM) electron-microscope

The successful candidate is responsible to run and manage our combined field emission gun scanning electron microscope (FEG-SEM) focused ion beam (FIB) instrument (FEI Quanta 3D FEG). This requires close collaboration with the TEM-Lab at GFZ as well as various experimentalists and field-based petrologists. Projects include investigation of high-resolution 2D and 3D microstructures of experimentally and natural deformed minerals and rocks, texture and element measurements using back scattered electron diffraction (EBSD) and energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy analysis (EDX), and preparation of TEM foils with the focused ion beam (FIB) technique.

Candidates should have a PhD in geo- or material sciences, experience in electron microscopy, expertise in texture analysis, a good publication record, and ability to work in an interdisciplinary and international team.

The position is initially for 3 years (prolongation feasible) and will be filled as soon as possible. Salary is according to EG 13 TVöD pay scale. The evaluation will begin two weeks after announcement and will continue until the position is filled. Equal opportunity is part of our personnel policy. The GFZ Potsdam encourages applications from qualified female candidates. There is a kindergarten service available. Handicapped applicants will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.

Further Informations:

Prof. Dr. Georg Dresen <[log in to unmask]>
Dr. Erik Rybacki <[log in to unmask]>

Please submit your applications, stating code no. 42/3/10 G to:

Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ)
Abteilung Persobnal- und Sozialwesen
Telegrafenberg
D-14473 Potsdam

---

Wilhelm Heinrich
Tel.:  +49(0)331 288-1410
Fax:  +49(0)331 288-1402
Helmholtz-Zentrum Potsdam
Deutsches GeoForschungsZentrum (GFZ)
Stiftung des öff. Rechts Land Brandenburg
Telegrafenberg, D-14473 Potsdam