Jan

The National Museums Scotland, like all museums with large mineral collections, has a significant number of radioactive specimens to deal with. We have, over the last fifteen or twenty years, had to liaise closely with bodies like the HM Pollution Inspectorate and the NRPB in finding a way to store these objects that minimises the risk to curators, visitors and others who are likely to be in the storage areas (e.g. contactors). I am happy to send you any information that you need about how we deal with them. With regard to the bullet points listed below:

  • I am not sure what you mean by restore? Do you mean conserve or curate, or something else?
  • There are a couple of papers at the SMMP (Society of Mineral Museum Professionals) that you may find interesting. http://www.smmp.net/rept-rad.htm

Best Wishes

Peter Davidson

Curator of Minerals