From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Lalage Grundy
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: Council for Learning Outside the Classroom approves Creationist Attraction

OK if it is presented as a question of faith. The problem arises when it is presented as a matter of science, which calls into question whether it is good science and good education which is exactly what LOTC is designed to vet
Lalage

Lalage Grundy
Surrey Heritage Team Manager for Learning, Museums and Partnership
130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, GU21 6ND
Tel 01483 518782

Diane Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Sent by: "List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK." <[log in to unmask]>

27/07/10 16:42
Please respond to
Diane Taylor <[log in to unmask]>

cc
Subject
Re: Council for Learning Outside the Classroom approves Creationist Attraction

I agree Robin, it's not what LOTC is there to do, and anyway sounds like
they're not claiming there's is the absolute truth.

Diane

Diane Taylor
Audience Development Officer
Harrogate Museums & Arts
Mercer Art Gallery,
Swan Road, Harrogate
HG1 2SA
Tel: 01423 556188
Fax: 01423 556130
www.harrogate.gov.uk/museums

Exhibitions at Harrogate Museums & Arts
Royal Pump Room Museum
"Egyptology: Science Investigation" - discover some of our Ancient
Egyptian treasures.  See how science is helping us learn more about our
Ancient Egyptian objects.
"Well Travelled" - Journey to many parts of the world in our exhibition
of objects from far-flung places.Until 5 September.

Mercer Art Gallery
'The Secret Garden' - works from Harrogate's fine art collection in an
exhibition inspired by the classic children's novel.  Until 6 June.

'Treasures of the Mercer' - Favourites from the fine art collection.
Until 25 July.

Knaresborough Castle.
Visit the King's Tower, dark dungeon and secret underground tunnel,
Find out about Knaresborough's past and colourful characters.  Open from
Good Friday 2010 daily.
Please ring or visit our website for further details of our varied
children's & adults activities programme.

>>> Robin Clutterbuck <[log in to unmask]> 27/07/2010
16:36 >>>
I disagree with Richard and Ian's response.  Why is it OK to visit a
place
of worship where belief and faith are part of the deal, but not OK to
go to
a zoo where some of the staff have beliefs of their own?  The
techniques
used by good education services at religious sites aim to elicit
feelings of
personal reflection in a setting designed for people to think about
these
things - so why not in a zoo where you're right in front of the
'evidence'
and the debate can be even closer to the reality?

I looked at the Noah's Ark Farm Park's website and they explicitly say
that
evolution and creation are areas open to debate, and that while they
have
their own views, it's up to the individual to come to their own
conclusions:
'In our view the evidence currently known points to a ‘both/and’
situation
(creation and evolution) rather than ‘either/or’' ... we encourage
interested readers to explore the issues for themselves'.  Ian's Life
Centre
runs a KS4 workshop in which students 'use dialogue activities to
explore
Darwin’s theory and the historical ideas behind it and decide for
themselves
how modern day criticisms of evolution should be answered' - not that
different?

Noah's Ark Farm Park lists a range of educational workshops and
activities
based around National Curriculum in Science and there's no suggestion
that
these workshops actually morph into something else when the schools
arrive.
It appears that the Farm Park was chosen as one of the 10% of
self-assessed
sites to receive an inspection, and presumably this found that the
service
was as described in its publicity, otherwise that would in itself be a
reason to lose the quality badge status.

However the main point, as expressed in the CLOtC's reply, is that the
Quality Badge is about processes, not content.  The Farm obviously
reached
the standard required and was awarded the badge.  It's not up to the
CLOtC
to discriminate between different applicants on anything other than
quality
of provision.

For these reasons, while on a personal level I refute Creationism, I
can't
see a reason why Noah's Ark Farm Park should lose its badge.

Robin Clutterbuck
White Rook Projects
www.whiterook.co.uk