From: List for discussion of issues in museum education in the UK. [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Cowie, Cassandra
Sent: 09 July 2010 12:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: FW: Setting a table risk assessment

I think you’re being too cautious.  The children will (hopefully!) have real cutlery at home.  There’s no reason why they would suddenly forget how to use it properly, simply because they were in a museum setting.  Their school will also allow them to use cutlery at lunchtime…

This sounds like an awesome activity, please don’t refrain from doing it through fear of injury.  If they’re setting a table it should be quite a sedate affair…why not have the person running the workshop holding a tray of cutlery.  Each child could be stood at a place setting, as it comes to their turn the workshop leader could come to them with the cutlery.  This way the child would only have to turn around, pick up the cutlery and then lay it down again.

Good luck!

Cassandra Cowie

East Riddlesden Hall