Hi Gwenaelle and Stam,

A belated thank you for your advice regarding this thread.  So if my
interpretation of your comments is correct, changes in the mode (ie an
increase from negative to more positive values) might represent a shift from
a "disc" to more "cigar" shaped anisotropy especially if this increase is in
areas where one expects significant amounts of crossing fibres.  In areas
where there is less likely to be crossing fibres, a similar increase in the
mode may alternatively represent a shift to a more linear anisotropy, which
may for example be due to an increase in the 1st eigen value in the tensor
model or a decrease in the 2nd/3rd eigenvalues.

Would use of tbss_x aid interpretation further.  I understand that it
ensures that f1 and f2 belong to the same fibre bundles across subjects, so
that it is then possible to compare measures across subjects that are
related to the same fibres.  If therefore an increase in mode of
anistrophy/FA picked up by TBSS is due to selective degeneration of a fibre
bundle, would one then expect to see decreases in F2 in that same area ?
That is, would one expect to see a decreased proportion of the diffusion
signal being modelled by f2 in those regions ?  Conversely if one sees an
increase in f1 in those regions would that again suggest that the modal
changes seen represent a more linear anisotropy, which as Gwenaelle points
out you would maybe see in healthy subjects with, say, motor learning for
instance, just like an increase of FA would then also be seen.

Thank you for your help.

Mahinda